Skip to main content

Talking, Drawing, Writing Chapter 4: The Craft of Drawing {Freebie!}



I know I'm late again- I swear I have a good excuse!  (More about that later this week... my new header might give you a clue! )  But this morning I got a chance to catch up on my reading and am excited to share what stuck with me!

  • Explicit Connections: The connection between drawing lessons and illustrations in children's work must be made explicit!  "Remember how we learned how to [insert drawing mini-lesson]?  I'm going to do that today in my Drawing and Writing Book..."
  • Notice the Craft of Drawing in Mentor Texts: I LOVE the list of different things you can notice about illustrations in children's books!  I totally missed the boat on this one last year.  The only teaching point I ever really made (but which I believe is the most important one) was that writers use illustrations and words to tell the story.  Check out the full list in the freebie below- I'm going to stick mine in my writer's workshop/conferencing binder for reference!

Luckily, last year I had a great class of kiddos that really picked up on the craft of illustration quite naturally.  They learned to focus on illustrations quite a bit after one of our first lessons on ways to read a book- one way is to read the pictures!

Check out the book below.  Me and My Daddy Went to Toys R' Us was actually written by one of my kiddos that struggled with a lot of reading foundational skills, but when it came to writer's workshop he was a wizard!  My favorite part of the story is the thought bubble- what a sophisticated concept for a four year old!


This chapter really got me thinking about mentor texts for illustration craft study.  I definitely want to start compiling my own list, but in the meantime I found some other resources:

Funky First Grade Mentor Text Linky!

Mrs. Wills Kindergarten In Pictures and In Words Book Study
And I know I mentioned this before, but Mo Willems is quite possibly my favorite author for illustration study!  He's got so many great things going on (speech bubbles, movement lines), but best of all his style is easy for young artists to imitate.

Comments

  1. I have nominated you for the Liebster Award! Check it out on my blog! :)

    ✿ Regina
    Keepin It Krazy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Customs & Belated Friday Freebies

Saturday is here and Christmas Break has begun!  Well, in my case it's a 4 day weekend, but I'll take it.  I confess I am very jealous of my peers right now that get a two week break.  But I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a good break, and I can't wait to see the exciting stuff you create!  :) What a busy week it has been!  Between practicing for the Holiday Song Program, doing the Holiday Song Program, recovering from the Holiday Song Program, I'm not sure how we accomplished anything at all!  But accomplish we did, and largely thanks to you, my wonderful fellow blogger teachers!  I am so thankful for the great resources you make and share, they were a lifesaver this week for sure!  Here's a look at our week of Holiday Customs Around the World: Art Snowflake Craft Stick Ornaments (Parent Gift) These turned out so great!  I poured some craft (tacky) glue a bowl and they used Q-tips to place glue onto their gemstones.  Then, they put

There's No Place Like Space: Outer Space Adventures & Friday Freebie

TGIF!!!  What a week!  I absolutely adored seeing my kiddos learn about space, but this week was a toughie.  Sick and tired kiddos do not make for a happy class.  Everything kept going the wrong way: food spilled on the newly cleaned carpets, bloody noses on the newly cleaned carpets, bathroom accidents during the middle of centers, pink-eye working its' way around the room, forgotten materials at home, the printer at FedEx Office went haywire and messed up my play-doh mats, the copy machine at work broke, I broke the side mirror of my car coming out of the garage... Yikes!  I was seriously scared to leave my house this morning!  :)  So here's hoping the stars re-align this weekend and my class comes back rockin' and rollin' and ready to learn on Monday! With all that being said, it was still a fun and jam-packed week.  I loved overhearing one of my kiddos tell his parent, "Mom, did you know the sun is ACTUALLY a star?!?!"  And I got to test out another

Families & Freebies on a Friday... err... Monday!

Happy Friday !  Er, Monday?  Well, originally I was going to post this on Friday but I had no time (big surprise, right?) so here it is on Monday!  Here's a peek at our fun Families unit from last week, with a few freebies for my bloggy family!  :) Art: George Washington Color by Number Many thanks to Maria at Kinder-Craze for this great freebie!  On Tuesday we learned a little bit about what a President does and why we celebrate President's Day.  Pick up Maria's great freebie at her blog by clicking here . Paper Bag Houses Love how these houses turned out!   Family Trees Some of my kiddos were even able to write most of the names on their family tree! Magazine Family Hunt Are you ready for your first freebie?  Click on the picture to grab your own copy of this fun family magazine picture hunt!  The kiddos cut out pictures of people in magazines and placed them in the category they thought fit: mommies/daddies, grandmas/grandpas