Skip to main content

A Manic Monday Made It: Doilies & Door Decor (Cute Classroom Welcome Sign)


Classroom Freebies Manic Monday
Yes, you saw right... I'm double linking up this post because it contains a FUN IDEA and a FREEBIE!

One of the few Pinterest projects I got around to this summer before school started was a cute classroom welcome sign!  I first saw the idea from Krista Walden of The Creative Chalkboard.  Don't you just love it?  You can click on the pic to see the rest of her awesome classroom!


And I just knew I had to make my own!  Here's what I used...

  • 8" Cake Doilies
  • White Paper (Cardstock Works Best)
  • Laminate
  • Ribbon
  • Hot Glue

First I went hunting for some cute cake doilies.  All I could find was white!  But then I stumbled on these great 8" zebra ones at Hobby Lobby.  I used the ribbon to eyeball the space I wanted to take up on my door, laid it out on the floor, then made sure the 8" circles would work.

I whipped up some cute letters inside 6" circles on my computer and printed them onto plain paper (in hindsight I should have printed onto cardstock).  Then I lightly glued them onto the doilies with a glue stick.  (DON'T use tape- it will turn out bumpy when you laminate!)


Then it was off to the laminator!  (I can't believe spell check is trying to tell me laminator is not a word).  So anyways, I went off the LAMINATOR and laminated and then carefully cut out the circles!


After carefully cutting out the circles, I laid them onto my ribbon and spaced them out how I wanted.  Then I proceeded to hot glue with my new zebra glue gun!  (If you haven't gotten the hint yet, I've decided to switch to a jungle theme...)  And here's a tip for when you're going glue-happy.  Place the glue onto the top part of the ribbon first, then place the doily onto it...


And then do the same for the bottom- glue onto the ribbon first.  Much easier to make sure it's straight!


And voila!  The finished product.


The part that took the longest?  Tying the bow!  I followed this great tutorial here from Frilly and Funky because as you all know I'm domestically impaired.

Ready for your freebie?  My friend loved this one but wanted one in giraffe print.  I made them BOTH for you, as well as a sign in tiger print- you don't even need to buy doilies!  Just print, laminate, hot glue and have fun!

I hope everyone has a great Monday!  Today marks the beginning of our third week... where has the time gone?!?!

Speaking of time, I know it's been awhile since I posted anything to my store.  This weekend I felt inspired and made up a new line of holiday and seasonal digital papers!  Grab it for 50% off this week only!



Comments

  1. Adorable welcome sign and you tied an awesome bow! Thanks for the freebie, I have a crazy zebra print room theme this year! :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Theresa! Would love to see pics of your room- do you have any on your blog? (I didn't see when I hopped over). Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Nicki! :) It's like the only cute thing I've been able to make... oh well, there's always next summer! :)

      Delete
  3. Love those safari prints... thanks so much for sharing!

    Cindy
    Granny Goes to School

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can you make on with zebra print background and purple letters? My theme is purple and zebra print.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Holiday Customs & Belated Friday Freebies

Saturday is here and Christmas Break has begun!  Well, in my case it's a 4 day weekend, but I'll take it.  I confess I am very jealous of my peers right now that get a two week break.  But I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a good break, and I can't wait to see the exciting stuff you create!  :) What a busy week it has been!  Between practicing for the Holiday Song Program, doing the Holiday Song Program, recovering from the Holiday Song Program, I'm not sure how we accomplished anything at all!  But accomplish we did, and largely thanks to you, my wonderful fellow blogger teachers!  I am so thankful for the great resources you make and share, they were a lifesaver this week for sure!  Here's a look at our week of Holiday Customs Around the World: Art Snowflake Craft Stick Ornaments (Parent Gift) These turned out so great!  I poured some craft (tacky) glue a bowl and they used Q-tips to place glue onto their gemstones.  Then, they put

There's No Place Like Space: Outer Space Adventures & Friday Freebie

TGIF!!!  What a week!  I absolutely adored seeing my kiddos learn about space, but this week was a toughie.  Sick and tired kiddos do not make for a happy class.  Everything kept going the wrong way: food spilled on the newly cleaned carpets, bloody noses on the newly cleaned carpets, bathroom accidents during the middle of centers, pink-eye working its' way around the room, forgotten materials at home, the printer at FedEx Office went haywire and messed up my play-doh mats, the copy machine at work broke, I broke the side mirror of my car coming out of the garage... Yikes!  I was seriously scared to leave my house this morning!  :)  So here's hoping the stars re-align this weekend and my class comes back rockin' and rollin' and ready to learn on Monday! With all that being said, it was still a fun and jam-packed week.  I loved overhearing one of my kiddos tell his parent, "Mom, did you know the sun is ACTUALLY a star?!?!"  And I got to test out another

Families & Freebies on a Friday... err... Monday!

Happy Friday !  Er, Monday?  Well, originally I was going to post this on Friday but I had no time (big surprise, right?) so here it is on Monday!  Here's a peek at our fun Families unit from last week, with a few freebies for my bloggy family!  :) Art: George Washington Color by Number Many thanks to Maria at Kinder-Craze for this great freebie!  On Tuesday we learned a little bit about what a President does and why we celebrate President's Day.  Pick up Maria's great freebie at her blog by clicking here . Paper Bag Houses Love how these houses turned out!   Family Trees Some of my kiddos were even able to write most of the names on their family tree! Magazine Family Hunt Are you ready for your first freebie?  Click on the picture to grab your own copy of this fun family magazine picture hunt!  The kiddos cut out pictures of people in magazines and placed them in the category they thought fit: mommies/daddies, grandmas/grandpas